past modals of deduction exercises

Past modals of deduction exercises

We can use modal verbs to talk about how secure or insecure we are about something in the past as well as use modals in the present with a slight change in the form.
When we use a modal verb to speak of a situation in which we are not expressing a fact, but we are using the deduction, the form is MODAL + to have + past participle
And this we can classify it as follows:
strong probability
moderate probability / improbability
strong improbabilty

for example:

strong probability

1-You must have been very sad when you received the results of your medical examinations
2-He must have forgotten your money at home again.
3-I must have left my phone in the car.

moderate probability / improbability

1-cecilia was supposed to be here, but she might have been trapped at home.
2-Alex could have said he was coming but I really can not remember. your temporal lobe is damaged
3-I could have been Juan here when I was a kid, but I really can not remember.
4-rodrigo may have seen the soccer match.

strong improbabilty

1-I can not leave my job for the sake of my family.
2-You could not have seen emma this morning. she was with me all the time.
3-Angela can’t have liked the food. She hates vegetables.
4-Ezekiel could not have liked the show. He hates musicals.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

expressing ability

Connectors of addition / cause-effect

verbs geruned infinitive change in meaning